Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sawadee Kaa (hello) from Thailand!!

Hi guys,
So, I'm writing this from an internet cafe in Chiang Mai, in northern thailand. Everything on this website is in Thai, so I had to click on every link to figure out how to read the blog, and then how to post!
Today we got back from a trek in the Jungle. It was a three day, two night deal, where we walked a few hours each day and then slept in a village each night. It was so interesting! The villages we stayed in don't really have access roads, and so the only outsiders they see are trekkers. the first night we stayed in a village that was REALLY poor. the kids don't usually have a teacher, because the teacher has to hike in and stay for weeks. It was so incredible to see how they lived!! We all stayed in a bamboo hut ( there were 9 people on the trek), and all night long we could hear dogs fighting, roosters crowing, pigs squealing, and cows mooing. Not exactly a five star hotel! (:

It was such an amazing experience! To end the trek, we took an elephant ride. It was so cool! I got to sit on its neck. I couldn't believe how rough the skin was and how coarse the hair was!

In a few days we'll leave thailand for Northern Laos. We'll travel down Laos by bus, then into cambodia, visit northern Vietnam, climb in Southern Thailand, and then possible head to Indonesia to surf, if there are no waves in Thailand. Hopefully we will be able to handle the heat!!! Bangkok was suffocating, so hopefully the other cities won't be as bad!!

Despite the few discomforts of traveling, we're having a wonderful time. It is so fascinating to see how different Asian culture is. The people are so amazingly kind. And the food has been wonderful!

Congrats to all the new babies, houses, and everything else exciting that's happening!


Nanette

5 comments:

Christine said...

Nan,

Holy cow, that sounds amazing! I am so glad that you are able to do something so adventurous!

Becky said...

Yeah, what an adventure!

Whitney said...

That is so awesome Nan! I love the stories! Keep 'em coming!!!

Karen said...

WOW! I'm a bit jealous...but I'm not sure that's a trip I could do! :) Maybe though!!! It sounds like you are having a blast. Did you already go to Europe too? Man, I'm definitely jealous of your exciting summer!

Nicole said...

I would love to see pics when you get back! You have to post! And I want to hear about your Europe trip too, you spoiled girl :0)