Thursday, August 17, 2006

Great, easy manicotti

Hi everyone! I hope that you are all doing well! I think that this blog was a great idea! I have a really good, easy manicotti recipe that I'll post. (Can you believe that I cook???)
I got it off of a manicotti box, and it is really good!

1 package (8 oz) Manicotti, uncooked
1-1/2 cups (14 oz jar) marinara sauce
2 Tbs olive or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano leaves
2 cups yellow and green pepper strips
2 cups (8 0z.) shredded mazzarella cheese, divided
1 cup onion slices
3 1/2 cups (two 15 oz. containers) ricotta cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup sliced zucchini
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In skillet, heat oil, add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes; add zucchini, sauce, and one-half basil and oregano. Cook 3 minutes; spreat 1/2 cup in 13x9x2-inch baking dish. In bowl, stir toghether 1 cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, remaining basil and oregano. FIll pasta tubes with ricotta mixture; place in dish. Pour remaining sauce over pasta; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 F 40-50 minues. Makes 7 servings.

Notes: In the recipe, it says to cook the manicotti before you fill it. However, if you do that they are almost impossible to stuff. If you follow the above directions, you don't have to cook the manicotti. Just fill the hard tubes with the cheese mixture, and tubes will get soft cooking in the oven

Also, we could never eat all of the manicotti that this calls for. Instead, I make the whole recipe, stuff all the manicotti tubes, but store half in the freezer. They stay good frozen for up to 2 months. Then, each time I make it, I make the same amount of sauce that it calls for in the whole recipe, and it is extra saucy and good. However, when you cook the frozen pasta, it has to cook for 1 1/2 hours.

Hope all is well with everyone!!
Nanette

No comments: