Saturday, October 14, 2006

Buttermilk Syrup Recipe

For those of you who know me really well, you know that I love pancakes! And breakfast foods in general. Well Justin came home from work last weekend and said he had the best syrup on his french toast for breakfast there last Saturday (he works at a school for troubled adolescents and they have a cafeteria) and that we should try it. I am never opposed to trying new recipes, especially when it may involve a yummy breakfast food. So this morning I tried it and it was REALLY good! I thought I would share the recipe with anyone else who is a huge lover of pancakes, french toast, and anything else you may think of to put syrup on!!

Buttermilk Syrup Recipe

1/2 c. butter
2 c. buttermilk
5 c. sugar (I know it's a lot, that's why it's so good!)
1/4 c. corn syrup

Combine all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.

Add:

2 T. vanilla
2 T. baking soda

Wisk until it triples in size. Serve with french toast, pancakes, etc.

*I halfed the recipe since there are just two of us and there was still plenty left over (I thought it would be too difficult to third it or I would have tried that!!)

**Also, if you don't have buttermilk laying around (which I never do) here's a substitute: mix 1 T. lemon juice (yes, I do have that laying around!) with one cup of regular milk, stir, and let sit at least 5 minutes.

It will look all white and frothy when it's done (but it's supposed to!). Enjoy!

No comments: