Sunday, August 05, 2007

Europe

Well...I'm finally posting about our Europe trip. I'm quite slow since we've been busy and Bryce steals our computer every night to work on his school project! We went to Europe for 16 days in July and had a blast! We started in Paris and went throughout France (Paris, Versailles, Marseilles, Cannes), Italy (Pisa, Florence, Venice), Austria, a bit of Germany (Munich) and Swizterland (and the tiny countries of Monacco and Lichtenstein)! Seeing the Eiffel Tower was probably the coolest for me since I've wanted to go there since I was a wee child. So it was exciting! My favorite place in France though was a little mountain called Mont St. Michelle. It was amazing. There's a church at the very top of the mountain and the base of the mountain is a little town with shops. When the tide is high it becomes an island (except the road leading into it).The most humbling places were D-Day beaches (the huge cemetery) and the concentration camp in Dachau. That is something I will never forget. It was just insane to see the pictures and movie of what happened there. We saw lots and lots of old churches (amazing architecture and art), museums (lots and lots of art) and definitely got a feel for the difference in culture. We went to Venice which was a crazy city...but very neat at the same time. No gondola ride...seeing that they cost a boatload! :) We just took the huge water taxi instead! (We also sweated like crazy in Venice...it was SUPER hot there.)
We stayed in Austria for a week and I loved it there. It was just small towns that were gorgeous. Fun houses with flowers on every balcony and very peaceful. It was quiet in summer but I can just imagine how hopping it gets in the winter with all the ski resorts. Switzerland was the most expensive place. Bryce got a big mac value meal and it cost him $10 for his alone!!!!! We felt quite lucky that we were able to go though. Bryce is now doing rotations until December so there will be no more trips for us (besides our 2 year anniversary...2 football games in 2 days!!!!!) :) Our house is about a month from being done and we are getting excited. I'll have to post a picture of that some other time though (once the front door is painted). Well it's always exciting to read about everyone's news and lives! I'm glad people are still posting and sharing everything! Hope everyone is doing great! :)

5 comments:

Brooke said...

That sounds like a blast! I'm glad you had so much fun!

KaRLie said...

Your trip sounds like so much fun! I wish we had time to travel more! Thanks again for setting up the blog I love it!

Nicole said...

France is definitely on my list of places yet to go! I'm glad you guys had such a great time! And yes, please post pics of your house!! That is so exciting that it's only a month away! Yahoo!

Becky said...

What a sweet trip. I want to do that someday. I'm excited for your house to be done. Yes, post a pic so I can see what color of paint you chose for the front door! :)

Janessa Whatcott said...

Karen I was so excited to hear about your trip!! It sounded like so much fun!!Thank you for always geing so kind to me!!:}